Thursday, July 14, 2011

Notes from the Jungle: Tamarindo, Costa Rica Chapter 1

One of our students provided us with her first hand account of our Spanish and Surf Program while staying onsite at the student residence in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. 

Soy de San Fransisco pero estoy en una escuela de Espanol y surfear en Playa de Tamarindo! ( Lesson = difference between Ser and Estoy) Here I am on my second morning here and what an adventure. After my change in flight plans I arrived here without a hitch. Luciano met me at the airport and we chatted in Spanish on the hour long drive to Tamarindo. 

Tamarindo Spanish School Building
I have one word for Costa Rica in the rainy season - STICKY ! It is overcast and humid most of the time but quite warm. Take a shower and you feel like you need another one 10 minutes later.

When I got here around 1:00 in the afternoon, they immediately had me take a placement test. I placed into Beginner Level 3. Ten minutes later I was in my first two hour class with no time to unpack or get settled. That's what I get for showing up a day late! My classmates are two girls in their twenties.


We dove right in. The teacher Helyi (LG) is super. She got us to talk and started immediately going into when to use Saber and when to use Conocer and how to conjugate them in the present and past tenses. One of my classmates, Jen, lives here in Tamarindo and teaches English nearby. She is from Florida. Six months after she learned to surf she moved here without knowing anyone. True surf bum. Very sweet but quiet. Jessica is the other girl en mi clase. She is also one of my bunkmates. She is a first grade teacher from Philadelphia. We have 2 hours of class, a short break and then 2 more hours with Marietta, another super teacher. 

We discuss a lot of cultural issues like abortion and the policies of health insurance etc. Interesting.The school looks like a compound of tiled open air huts built into the foliage. I feel like one of the Lost Boys in Peter Pan. The roofs are made of green plastic which makes class difficult during the afternoon downpours. But there are fans throughout and it is really quite comfortable. 

Tamarindo School Residence
My apartment is in the building that houses the surfing school. It has two bedrooms that I share with 4 other women. We have a full kitchen and living room which is great but we are so busy we spend very little time here. It is clean and we are very happy here.


Yesterday, my first morning, I had surfing class from 8:00-10:00. Pretty tiring. Lucas my teacher is bald with earrings and tattoos. He is very encouraging but I am afraid I am a disappointment. I kept paddling out but I never managed to get up on my feet with a wave. I did however ride a few waves on my knees which was fun. 

I am reminded of my first day training for the triathlon where I couldn't manage to stay on the bike. Lucas will soon learn that I don't give up easily. My roommates and I had lunch at a little "soda" across the road. Breaded chicken cutlets with rice and beans and fried plantains. It was yummy. Then it was time to do homework and get ready for another 4 hours of class. At 5:00 we had yoga which comes with surfing program. By 6:00 I was dripping with sweat and feeling completely exhausted. 

Surfing in Tamarindo
The first night we had gone to a disco to celebrate the birthday of Remco, a student from Holland. So last night we just walked up to a falafel shop and then hung out in the apartment studying and chatting.It rains everyday starting around 12:00. 

Yesterday it rained all night. I forgot my rain jacket so I am going to look for a cheap pancho today. I slipped and fell in the mud on the way home from dinner but no harm. The other students are all friendly and fun. 

There are many families with little ones too. Most of them are staying off campus with host families. Not much time for contemplation. On the go from sun up to sun down. Might opt out of the surfing program next week so I can have mornings off.

Special Thanks to Molly for Sharing her experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment