Monday, October 4, 2010

Dog's Eye View: Playa del Carmen Spanish School


Frodo and Sam w/ Aylin and Chitra

Hello!  My name is Frodo and this is my brother Sam.  We are the mascots for the Spanish school in Playa del Carmen. If you see us come out when you arrive, don´t be afraid, we don´t bite! 

I was born in AndalusiaSpain about 4 years ago and was abandoned one cold night!  Lucky me, I meet José that same night and he took me home right away.  Jose is the director of the school in Playa del Carmen. We have been together ever since.  Two years ago, he told me we were moving to Mexico, to Playa del Carmen.  I didn’t know what Playa del Carmen was then, but I knew what playa was and I love playas (beaches)!  Wow, when we arrived here I was shocked!  It is grrrrreaattt!  Lots of sand to run around, turquoise water and palm trees!  It was a dream come true.  I always wanted to run around sniffing everything and getting dirty on the sand!  

This year my brother Sam came.  I have no idea where he came from but he seemed to come from a rough place.  When I first met him he was all dirty and smelly!  José told me he was abandoned, just like me.  Ever since we have become excellent friends.  Now we both welcome students to for Spanish classes, and we have made a bet to see who gets the most hugs from the students!  I think I am ahead, cause he is too shy around the people he doesn’t know.

I try to help students learn Spanish, but my Spanish is from Spain, so I tend to bark with a “Z” at the end... students love it.  Sam is from Merida, so he has a strong Yucatecan accent when he barks.  However, we can help students practice words such as “perro, blanco, negro, correr, saltar.”  We love for them to pat us and they seem to enjoy playing with us a lot!  That is why I love going to the Spanish school.  Everyone is so friendly and nice to everyone. They are a big all family, and Frodo and I are their favorite pets! They are always smiling, laughing and having a good time.  The teachers and the students are always together, and they have so much fun, I sometimes join in singing (well actually howling or barking)!  I get so excited I am always wagging my tail and Sam is always running around.   

The students are so nice.  They come from all different places and speak in ways I can’t understand.  Jose tells me they speak in other languages like English, French, German, Italian and I don’t know what else.  I can’t remember all of them, as there are too many from all different places, but they are all fun.  And Sam and I love it when we get treats from them!

I wish we could go with them to all the outside activities, but Jose tells me that not everyone allows dogs inside!  So they get to enjoy the beaches, the Mayan temples, the Cenotes, the bars and the restaurants.  Wow, the restaurants with the amazing smell... I love the smell of the food in Mexico... the tacos, burritos, tortas. quesadillas!  Talking about it made me hungry, so I think both Sam and I will order some fresh tacos for lunch from the cafeteria...  Mmm they are so tasty, I can't wait to eat them.

I am so glad we came to Playa del Carmen.  It is so beautiful and there are so many things I can do, no wonder the students are always happy!  I can’t wait to turn 21 so I can go to the party with them.  In the meantime, we will continue helping students learn Spanish and hope to make many more friends.  The more friends I make, the more treats I get!!!  Come on over to Academia Columbus, you won´t forget the amazing experience in a 1,000 dog years!!!  I guarantee it!

No comments:

Post a Comment